Why make blocks?
What do you need to have this?
What to create blocks from?
How to make them?
Why is it profitable to create blocks yourself?
What is the profit from this?
Where to start and how to develop this business?
In this article you will receive answers to all the questions posed and you will be able to “turn on” a reliable and dependable source of income for Yourself.
And so, let's figure it out in order.
Why make building blocks?
You probably noticed that the construction has been going on rapidly for the last 4-5 years. They build from small and medium private buildings: garages, cottages, estates, workshops, workshops, agricultural buildings, to large industrial, residential buildings, storage facilities, centers. Specialists in construction specialties are in demand as never before.
New construction technologies and materials are emerging. But are they always affordable and affordable for a wide range of developers?
Therefore, they are of little use in small and medium-sized construction, both in large cities and in small towns.
The most affordable building material remains the so-called cinder block and brick.
Moreover, the brick is often inferior to the cinder block in price, thermal conductivity and ease of laying.
But hollow building blocks are convenient and accessible to most private developers.
Yes, because of its properties:
- from them it’s easy to build a low-rise (2-3 floors) building (garage, house, cottage, utility block, workshop, etc.) without even resorting to the services of a bricklayer. (1 block = 3-4 bricks);
- walls made of cinder blocks are sound and heat impermeable;
- the price of cinder block is lower than the price of brick, foam block and other building materials due to the low cost and availability of its components (see below);
- only cinder block can be made by yourself. Even adobe (clay-straw bricks) can also be done independently.
So how do you make cinder blocks yourself?
What is needed for the production of building blocks?
It is known that cinder block was produced by concrete products using special equipment using a steaming chamber. Therefore, the production of a quality unit in domestic conditions was not available.
But if there is demand, then supply is inevitable. And it is!
Since 1994, experience in the production of building blocks in the private sector and in small production has provided an answer to the question posed.
What does that require?- Vibrating machine
- Raw materials
- relatively flat ground
- A household network in 220B (without comments).
We clarify each item in more detail.
There are different designs of vibrating machines. In domestic conditions of production and small business, it has confidently established itself in the CIS countries as a manual, electric, small-sized cinder block vibrating machine MZ30 (produced in its 14th year). Popularly known as the "Dream of the builder"
The following components are required for the production of building blocks:
- - cement
- - filler
- - plasticizing additive (desirable, but not required)
- - water (no comment)
Cement - Portland cement brand 400. Suppose another. But selection of proportions is necessary. For example, when using brand 300 cement, its consumption should be increased by 10-15%.
Fillers for concrete can be a variety of materials: sand, gravel, slag, gravel slag, ash, sawdust, shavings, screenings, expanded clay, gypsum, scrap brick and other natural and industrial materials.
Depending on local conditions, requirements for the produced blocks and cost price, you can choose the appropriate filler. I will list several popular concrete compositions and the main concrete groups
one). Slag from metallurgical enterprises (gray or dark gray with a high cement content, seeded fine fraction) - 9 parts
+ cement - 1 part
+ water 0.5 volumes of cement
2). Gravel slag from metallurgical enterprises (yellow-greenish color with a high cement content, seeded fine fraction) - 4 parts
+ fine screening - 4 parts
+ cement - 1 part
+ water 0.5 volumes of cement
3). Other slag concrete
four). Concrete in the sand and gravel
five). Brick waste concrete
6). Expanded clay
7). Ash Concrete
eight). Sawdust concrete
9). Perlite concrete
ten). Polystyrene concrete
and other concrete with a different combination of the above.
Now it’s clear that the current name “cinder block” is not the most accurate definition of possible building blocks.
Plasticizing admixture is an optional component of concrete. But its presence provides: early strength of the blocks (this is very important with limited production areas), improves the quality of the blocks (decreases crack formation and abrasion of the blocks), improves the water resistance and frost resistance of concrete.
The amount of additive is very small - about 5g per block.
Manufacturing technology of building blocks:
- Concrete preparation
- Block production
- Drying and storage of finished blocks.
Concrete preparation (on the example of the previously given 2nd concrete recipe)
one). Pour 4 shovels of fine screening + 4 shovels of granular slag
2). Pour 1 shovel of cement
3). Mix thoroughly
four). Adds in 7-9 liters of water + 250 ml (half a half-liter can) of dissolved UPD. The additive solution is prepared as follows: pour 0.5 kg of UPD into a 40 liter container and mix thoroughly until it is completely dissolved.
five). Shuffle. At the same time, concrete is qualitatively impregnated with a solution of UPD.
one). Pour the finished concrete with a small slide into the vibrating machine. Shortly, for 1-2 sec. turns on the vibrator - the concrete sets, trowel, in one motion, level the surface of the slightly settled concrete.
2). Install the clamp and, without much effort, press on it by turning on the vibrator.
Blocks with round and rectangular voids vibrate for 4-5 seconds. before lowering the clamp to the stops.
Narrow full blocks (2 pcs.) Vibrate for 5-7 seconds.
3). With vibration, lift the machine - the block remains on the site.
Drying and storage of finished blocks
Using UPD, ready-made blocks can be removed from the site and stored after 5-6 hours. Without UPD - in two days.
After this time, the blocks do not crumble when observing the proportions of concrete and the technology for their manufacture.
I advise you to store finished blocks in pyramidal stacks in one block with a small (2-3cm) clearance between the blocks - for further drying of the side faces.
Each such pyramid has 100 pieces. Easy to count. It is useful to mark each pyramid with the date and time of manufacture of the last block. This will come in handy during implementation. On the 4th, 5th day you can ship.
- A room with a flat concrete floor.
It is possible to produce blocks all year round. Good ventilation and heating in cold weather are desirable.
- Outdoor flat area.
It can be concrete or earthen, covered with plastic film to preserve the presentation of the blocks (the back side does not get dirty).
- An open, relatively flat area without prior preparation.
On such a platform, you can put ready-made blocks on trays.
Where to start the production of building blocks?
1. Select the best local material for concrete, given its cost and delivery.
2. Calculate the cost of 1 block taking into account the concrete components.
3. Decide on the production site.
4. Get a vibrating machine.
5. Master the given technologies.
At first, concrete can be prepared manually. Subsequently, it is more efficient and easier - on an electric concrete mixer with a volume of 0.2-0.5 cubic meters (preferably 0.5, taking into account the perspective).
Why is it profitable to create building blocks yourself?
I will cite my real costs for aggregate with delivery and cement, the calculation of the cost of manufacturing blocks and the payback of the vibrator “Dream of the builder” for the production of cinder block in Zaporizhia (Ukraine) in 2004 on the example of concrete from gray slag and gray.
8 cubic meters of slag - $ 30 / machine with city delivery (KRAZ or large MAZ)
The proportion of 1: 9 - 0.88 cubic meters or 18 bags of 3 dollars = 54 dollars
The price of the vibrating machine is 200 dollars
Total solution volume:
Proportion 1: 9 - 8 + 0.88 = 8.88 (cubic meters)
The volume of solution per 1 GOST cinder block:
- total volume: 39cm x 19cm x 19cm = 0.014 (cubic meters)
- with d = 9.5 cm: 3 x 3.14 x 4.75 ** 2 x 15 = 3188 cc = 0.003188 cbm
- volume of solution per 1 sh / block at d = 9.5 cm: 0.011 cubic meters
Table of calculation results:
Void Diameter (cm)
Number of w / blocks per solution volume (pcs.)
The cost of 1 sh / block (dol.) 84/830 = 0.1
Number of w / blocks for the payback of the machine (pcs.) Retail price of 1 w / block = 0.3 dollars. 200 / 0.3 = 667
Payback time (days) taking into account 400 w / blocks per day
1. For a cinder block with 2 rectangular voids of the solution, less is required (but the strength of such a block is lower)
2. Replacing the gravel slag with a local aggregate of concrete suitable for you, the prices of your region (in Russia the retail price of a block / block is higher) and using the dimensions of a cinder block, you can easily calculate the cost of 1 block / block and the payback of the machine for yourself.
Profitability and profit calculation:
We accept the initial assumptions:
The formation time of 1 block (sec.) Without UPD
The number of blocks per 1 hour, given the loading time of concrete in MZ30 sec. (pieces)
The number of blocks in 1 day (8 hours) pieces
Retail price of 1 cinder block (in 2005): in Ukraine
_______________ 2, 0 UAH. ($ 0.4)
15 rub ($ 0.5)
Profitability (From the previous table it follows that the cost of 1 w / block is 1/3 of its retail price)
On the day to produce blocks in the amount of:
400 * 0.4
400 * 0.5
For a month to produce blocks in the amount of:
16 0 * 22
200 * 22
44 00 $
The cost price is:
Profit will be:
3520 - 1173
4400 - 1467
- If you apply the UPD, then productivity will increase significantly.
- The record belongs to Victor Romanov and Sergey Rachmaninov, who produced 700 blocks 390 * 138 * 188 in July 1998 in a day
Business development and expansion
1. Hire responsible workers, worthy of their interest. (In our city - 20 kop. (0.04 cents) per block, in the region - 0.02 cents.)
2. Starting implementation, reduce the retail price, thereby making worthy competition and receiving grateful customers and their recommendations. (Important! Quality must be absolutely worthy).
3. In the warm season or in a heated room (regardless of the season), you can organize work in 2 shifts.
4. In this case, the entrepreneur depends only: on the presence of voltage in the network and on the health of 1 workforce (at the first stage, before the payback, you can work with the machine yourself).
5. If appropriate, lease the machine to "developers."
6. Fulfill the orders of "developers" directly on their site, saving them money for loading, transporting and unloading blocks.
7. In addition, - you will not need the permission of the State Electron Supervision, since all equipment is designed for a normal household network!
By Decrees of the Government of the Russian Federation of August 18, 2019 No. 1013, Gosstandart of the Russian Federation No. 86 of August 18, 2019 and Gosstroy of the Russian Federation No. 128 of August 18, 2019, the list of products requiring mandatory certification does not include concrete building blocks with various fillers (slag, expanded clay, sawdust, etc.), as well as vibroforming equipment for their production.
Thus, a business for the production of building blocks can be developed in stages:
- Start with the minimum cost of acquiring a vibrating machine, 1 machine of local raw materials as a concrete filler, 15-20 bags of cement.
Post free announcements on the implementation of high-quality slag stone.
Produce 800-1000 blocks. Quickly out of sales by lowering the retail price.
- Purchase a concrete mixer and the next batch of raw materials + UPD.
Align the price to retail (optional).
Post free ads + paid.
- Productively, with accumulated production experience, to produce high-quality blocks, managing to fulfill orders.
Ads no longer need to be given: the high quality of the blocks + the word-of-mouth advertising will do the trick.
Organize 2-shift production of building blocks.
Expand the range of manufactured units.
Purchase additional vibrating machines, possibly a concrete mixer.
Recruit employed workers
Managing to spend profits or invest it in a new business is equally cost-effective.
What I sincerely wish you!
Success and prosperity !!
Victor Smolnikov - author of the project
“Catalog of complete business packages” masterdela.info
Ukraine, Zaporizhia, August 2005
* The article is more than 8 years old. May contain outdated data